Wednesday 4 August 2010

Mountain Moments

I'm off to the Lake District on Friday for a bit of a walking and wild camping mission with an old friend.  It's got me thinking about favourite mountain trips from the past ...



The lovely Janelle, coming down off Skiddaw, 2006.  Miss you, Aunty Nell.




Me on the Buttermere skyline, 2006




Wow, 2006 was a good year.  This is on Ben Lawyers in May.  Bex got totally sunburnt that day.  I've since lost the hat I'm holding, worn out those boots and got too fat for that t-shirt.  Ho hum ...



And here's my first trip to Wastwater, with Yewbarrow to the left and Great Gable in the background.  It's just so beautiful there it hurts.



A Brocken Spectre on Great Gable in 2007.  Never seen another one since.




Arthur's Pass, from Mount Bealey, South Island, New Zealand.  Awesome.  Just me and the keas up there.




Wild camping with Chris on Glaramara, 2008.  We had a few drinks and Chris nearly fell in a tarn.  How I laughed.  The next day we went up Scafell Pike and back down via the gorgeous corridor route.



Wastwater, October 2008, when bad weather stopped the mountain marathon and the lake came up over the road.  I was stuck in Wasdale for a couple of days - good job it's mountain heaven up there.



January 2009 - the Rhinogs in Snowdonia looking far more benign than they felt at the top, where the ground was covered in ice and the wind was pretty nasty.  I stayed at Penrhos Isaf bothy for the first time, and impressed myself finding it at night in a very dark forest.



It's views like this that keep me climbing mountains.  It's a love affair to last a lifetime.

No comments: