Tuesday 26 October 2010

Fire and Water; Moon and Moor

I lucked out with the weather on Dartmoor the weekend before last.


A familiar route from Postbridge over Hartland Tor and past the stone circle at Grey Wethers, skirting the edge of Fernworthy Forest and stopping overnight at Teignhead Farm (below).


If I cut dead wood from a forest and then burn it nearby, so that the carbon released from the wood can be re-absorbed by the trees and turned back into oxygen and wood, have I stolen the carbon or just borrowed it? 

What a gorgeous night - a fire to keep the chill at bay, starry skies and a fine moon.  Risotto, chocolate and a few nips of single malt.  Went to bed a happy human.


Woke up to find ice on the tent and frost everywhere the sun hadn't hit.  Filtered some tasty clear water from Manga Brook to fill my bottle.


After breakfast I wandered over Sittaford Tor and across the bog (squelch - one wet foot) to Statt's House, before winding my way back along the East Dart through Sandy Hole Pass, pausing for a cup of tea at the waterfall.


Returned to the car with a heady sense of wellbeing and satisfaction.  Got my Dartmoor fix.

No comments: